This is a fairly typical question for many high school parents. After all, high school is the appropriate time for teenagers to move away from parents to some degree. It is the ideal time for a teenager to learn to advocate for him/her self. For some parents who have attended conferences for several years, its possible that same message has been communicated (positive or negative) time and time again. It becomes a bit stale. So, why do you need to attend Parent/Teacher conferences?
In 2011, several good reasons can serve as motivation.
1. Did you know that over the past three years, we have nine new staff members. You may not have met these new additions to the PPHS faculty. So even if you have a senior, it would be nice to be able to put a face with the name and welcome these new teachers to our community.
2. You get a chance to pick up your child's report card. Even if you haven't scheduled a meeting, stop by tonight or tomorrow and pick up the report card. This at least gives you a chance to meet with a teacher who has a free moment. If you do not come to conferences, we will send report cards home with your child next week.
3. The cookies are good. Really good.
4. Edline is obviously our new website host. If you have not yet activated your account, please stop by and ask for some help. If you lost the activation code that was mailed last week, this is a chance to pick up another copy. (By the way--it is REALLY important to activate your account and update all forms of contact information. This new system not only has a calling service that works like School Reach, but we can do blast emails and text messages, too.)
5. This is a great opportunity for you stop by and visit with a teacher that your child thinks is really special. This is a great opportunity to say thank you.
6. This is a great time to hear something positive about your child. I am confident that you child has developed a positive relationship with at least one adult in this school. That person is here waiting to tell you that your child is special.
So, even though this is being posted at the last minute--we'll be here tonight until 8:00 pm. Friday we will be available from 8:00-12:00. We really hope to see you there.